Quentin Road project to start, finish next year
Quentin Road widening
Updated: January 21, 2013 2:36PM
LAKE ZURICH — Although construction to widen Quentin Road from two to four lanes near Rand Road is not planned to begin until next spring, the .95-mile project is expected to be completed by the end of 2013.
Glenn Petko, Engineer of Construction for the Lake County Division of Transportation, said the project is to widen Quentin Road from two to four lanes from Long Grove Road, through the Route 12 intersection to Boschome Drive.
“It’s a capacity improvement project,” said Petko. “With Quentin having two lanes in each direction, traffic can get through a lot easier.”
Petko said the project, which is expected to cost $6.7 million, will also include two left hand turn lanes northbound and southbound.
Al Giertych, Assistant County Engineer for the Lake County Division of Transportation, explained that 70 percent of the funds for the project are federal funds. The other 30 percent is funded by Lake County. Although the Illinois Department of Transportation administers the federal funding, Giertych explained, Lake County will be overseeing the construction.
“Historically, we’ve had long backups at Route 12 and Quentin,” he said. “Also, we’ll be improving the intersection of Long Grove and Route 12. There will be new traffic signals and new left turn lanes.”
Michael Talbett, Village Administrator for the Village of Kildeer, said the project will result in an aesthetic improvement with landscaped medians. He also said it would improve safety at the intersection. For example, he said, vehicles will no longer be allowed to turn left onto Quentin out of the BP gas station.
“It’s a busy set of movements now because there are so many possibilities,” he said.
Talbett said congestion issues at the intersection have been a concern for many years, but it was only recently that the state legislature approved additional funding for such projects in Lake County. The funding requires many of the road projects to incorporate features like sidewalks, bike paths and sound walls, Talbett explained.
Talbett said the project is a two-part endeavor, which will eventually extend to Route 22. However, the second phase may not be completed until 2014 or 2015.
Petko said there is no current date set for construction to begin, but utility work is already underway to prepare the site.
“I believe the contractors intentions are to get it done in one construction season,” he said.
Giertych said the start of construction would be weather-dependent.
“It’s expected to be completed by this time of next year,” he said. “As soon as the weather breaks in the spring, we’ll be out there.”